Friday, April 06, 2007

All Your Base are in Japanese

Back in my local Gametraders, I made another exciting find on the Retro Games shelf.
Zero Wing

Yep, it's Zero Wing, of All Your Base fame! According to the old price tag still on the box, it was purchased in Kuala Lumpur for the bargain price of 239 dollars (Malaysian dollars I guess) but I was being offered this slice of videogaming history for a mere ten of our gold coins. How could I resist?

The cartridge, designed for the Japanese version of the Megadrive, won't fit in an Aussie console, but I have ways around these obstacles...
My Megadrive Test Rig

Using the guts of my second Megadrive Backpack, I fired up the game and prepared to see a little slice of gaming history first-hand...
Why yes, I will press start button!

I waited for the now-infamous intro to appear...
Hmm...

This is not as I expected...
What you say?

It seems that I had not in fact found the poorly-translated English version of the game, but the untranslated Japanese version. Oh well, nothing for it but to take off every "zig", or as they say in Japan...

Having got that out of the way, I decided to actually play the game, and was further puzzled by all the in-game text being in English again.
Wow a side-scrolling shooter on the Megadrive!

So is it the Japanese cartridge? Is it a Chinese pirate version with English text hacked in (Hence the packaging with no SEGA logos)? Am I expecting too much for ten dollars?
The answers to these questions and more probably won't be found in my next update!

No comments: